“Marketing, What Works,” is designed to allow school owners and their staff to share ideas on what they have done to market their school and what they have found to be successful. The following are some ideas for ways to market NTSI programs. Keep in mind that very little gets sold over the phone or by sitting behind a desk. You have to actively market your program by going out and engaging in public speaking and interaction.
One good way to collect potential audiences is by always being on the lookout. When driving around, even in your own personal vehicle, keep a pen and paper handy. Be aware of companies which may have a fleet of drivers. Record the telephone number listed on the vehicle and follow-up the next day with a visit (not a phone call) to that company.
Types of companies to watch for:
- Any kind of Delivery Company, like uniforms, cleaning, produce, etc.
- Electric Companies
- Cable Companies
- Telephone Companies
- Taxi Companies
- Bus Companies
- Home Repairs
- Construction Companies
- Basically any type of vehicle being operated on the roadways for business
Another effective contact potential is getting your hands on mailing lists. For example, obtaining mailing lists from:
- the National Association of Fleet Administrators (NAFA)
- the American Association of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- the International Association of Chiefs of Police
- Getting on the contact list of the U.S. Governments GSAQ Federal Supply Schedule 69
Make personal contacts with the following:
- Courts and provide a demonstration of the Values + Attitude = Behavior Concept. (Make sure to use the Values + Attitudes = Behavior concept paper)
- Probation Departments
- Parks and Recreation Departments
- Police Departments/Sheriffs Departments, Highway Patrol or State Police
- City and County offices, maintenance departments
Try and get seated on local boards such as the following:
- Red Ribbon Campaign
- Drug and Alcohol Abuse
- MADD and SADD
- City and County Safety Departments
- School Boards
- State Safety Commissions
- Local Community Safety Teams
- Railroad Commission
- Police Advisory Boards
- Fire Department Advisory Boards
- Safe Kids
- Any governmental boards
It is beneficial to get invited to speak on the radio and TV talk shows to present the NTSI unique concept of Values + Attitudes = Behavior. Arrangements can be made through contacts to speak about traffic safety and NTSI programs for saving lives. Organizations to consider are PTA’s, public schools, Elks, Rotary, hospitals, car clubs, American Legion, VFW, Shriners, Moose, etc. Contact a school and offer to make a presentation. Topic areas can include values + attitudes = behavior and how emotions affect our driving behavior, safety restraint systems, child seats, air bags, and more. You can also purchase magnetic refrigerator marketing items that advertise your school or put a book marker in every student workbook that is handed out listing all the programs offered by your school.
Try and speak at different local clubs like bowling, garden, athletic, etc. Attend Safety Fairs and set up an NTSI booth. Purchase magnetic signs for all your instructor’s vehicles.
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX!
To learn more about NTSI, visit our website here, or contact us at 800-588-6874!