NTSI “takes clear lead” over NSC, New York study concludes
When compared with the defensive driving programs of the National Safety Council (NSC) and others in a study of New York drivers, researchers report that:
- NTSI reduces accident rates by 21%
- NTSI is superior to other programs in reducing the accident rates of participants
- NTSI reduces rates of recidivism by 64.5% – a rate significantly better than all other programs
- NTSI “takes a surprising lead” in accident reduction of males over 50 years of age
- NTSI “takes a clear lead” over the other programs in reducing accident rates of males under 30 years of age
The data for the study is supplied by New York’s Division of Research and Evaluation. In addition to NTSI, programs evaluated include National Safety Council (NSC), AARP, Driver Training Associates, National Traffic Safety, Safety Training, New York State, New York Telephone, and Police Emergency Vehicle Operations.
References:Finigan, M. (1990). A summary and discussion of the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles Division of Research and Evaluation Report: Evaluation of the Point/Insurance Reduction Program.
Division of Research and Evaluation. (n.d.). Evaluation of the Point/Insurance Reduction Program. N.Y.S. Department of Motor Vehicles.