Lawn Mower Safety Tips
Spring means the start of the chore of yard work. The NTSI recommends the following safety tips when maintaining your lawn.
- Try to use a mower with a control that stops the mower from moving forward if the handle is let go.
- Children younger than 16 years should not be allowed to use ride-on mowers. Children younger than 12 years should not use walk-behind mowers.
- Make sure to wear the correct shoes. Do not wear sandals or sneakers, and do not go barefoot.
- Prevent injuries from flying objects, like stones or toys, by inspecting the lawn and picking up objects.
- Always wear eye and hearing protection.
- Make sure children are away from the area being mowed.
- Start and refuel mowers outdoors, not in a garage or shed. Mowers should be refueled with the motor turned off and cool.
- Make sure the blade settings are changed by an adult, with the mower off and the spark plug removed or disconnected.
- Do not pull the mower backward or mow in reverse unless absolutely necessary, and carefully look for children behind the mower before mowing in reverse.
- Always turn off the mower and wait for the blades to stop completely before removing the grass catcher, unclogging the discharge chute or crossing gravel paths, roads or other areas.
- Never allow children to ride as passengers on ride-on mowers.
Have a safe spring and summer!