Texas Defensive Driving Course Eligibility Requirements
Texas has a program that enables drivers to attend a six (6) hour course to have certain moving violations (tickets) dismissed. There are various formats in which state -approved courses are offered including classroom, online, dvd or video courses.
Drivers are eligible to attend a state-approved course once every twelve (12) months. There are certain eligibility criteria that must be met for a traffic citation dismissed. Here is a list of the criteria for drivers to have a citation dismissed:
- Enter a plea of ‘guilty’ or ‘no contest’ to the charge, request to take the course, and pay fees to the court,
- Present a valid Texas driver’s license or permit; you may not possess a Commercial Driver License (CDL) and take the course for dismissal purposes,
- Present proof of valid liability insurance,
- Not alleged to have been speeding 25 MPH over the posted speed limit,
- Have not completed another Texas approved driving safety course within on year of the date of this citation/ticket,
- Submit the course completion certificate (Uniform Certificate of Completion) upon course completion along with a current driving record (obtainable from the Department of Public Safety (DPS) in Austin for $10), in accordance with the Court instructions by the deadline.